Bracelet: a decorative accessory worn on the wrist, forearm, or upper arm. The word “bracelet” comes from the Greek word “brachile” meaning “of the arm.” Bracelets can be made of many different types of materials and can be simple or extravagant in design depending on style. The following is a more comprehensive guide to bracelet jewelry jargon.
- Chain Bracelets- Chain bracelets are made up of links strung together. Chain links are created using different size, shapes, and materials. These include:
- Rolo Chain– The links to these chains are round and uniform, giving a symmetrical look to your chain bracelet.
- Snake Chain– These chain links that are tightly wound together and not surprisingly, resemble the scales of a snake. Snake chain is often used for charm bracelets.
- Rope Chain– These bracelets are braided together using their material to create the links to these chains.
- Mesh Chain– The links are in rows making a durable and flexible chain bracelet.
- Box Chain– Also called Venetian chain these links form smooth, solid square shapes that appear as a string of connected boxes.
- Byzantine Chain– has an almost rope-like or strand-like appearance and often form very ornate designs within the overall, sequential chain design.
- Wheat Chain– Wheat chains feature oval-shaped links that are twisted together to create a winding, texture look that is somewhat similar to the way wheat looks.
- Beaded Bracelet – Beaded bracelets have chain, wire, string, or cord which serves as a base for beads.
- Charm Bracelet- This bracelet is one of the most universal. There are many different “base” bracelet types one can use to attach charms including solid metal, leather, or cord, open/large link chain, or snake chain. Charm bracelets are great for someone that likes to add their own style to everyday life. You can make these into a custom accessory to match any outfit or occasion which makes them great gifts that you can keep adding to.
- Bangle Bracelet- This style of bracelet has no closure or end clasp. These are usually loose fitting rather than snug and worn with several layered on.
- Friendship Bracelet- Most commonly a bracelet given as a gift as a symbol of their friendship. These are typically handmade of an organic stringing material such as hemp, cotton, or leather.
- Arm Band- An accessory worn on the upper arm, this is often considered boho style for the fashion industry.
- Slap Bracelet- You remember these! The wonderful and occasionally painful accessory you could play with. Slap bracelets were made of a metal base covered in materials displaying various designs. Thank you 80’s and 90’s
- Stretch and Wrap Bracelet- These bracelets usually don’t have a closure and are made of a softer more flexible base which easily slides on to the wrist.
- Cuff Bracelet- Cuff bracelets are open ended often in a semi-circle or horseshoe going most of the war around the wrist or arm. Occasionally charm bracelets are available in cuff style. Cuff bracelets are often worn on the upper arm as a boho style accessory.